Are you curious about the profound impact a new airport can have on Bangladesh’s economy and infrastructure development? The Dhaka Airport third terminal is poised to usher in remarkable changes in economic growth, employment opportunities, and trade prospects.
Key Information of Dhaka Airport Third Terminal
- Opening Date: October 7, 2023
- Construction Approval: December 2019
- Investors/Contractors: Mitsubishi, Fuji firms, South Korean businesses
- Terminal Management: Japanese operations of ANA Holdings
- Inauguration Date: October 7, 2023
- Initial Cost Estimate: Tk 21,300 crores
- Architect: Rohani Bahrain (interior design)
The ongoing project of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal is expected to be a game-changer for Bangladesh’s economy and infrastructure development. This expansion initiative includes the construction of a state-of-the-art passenger building spanning over 55,000 square meters across two floors, along with a VVIP complex featuring separate checkpoints and waiting lounges.
Upon completion, Dhaka Airport is set to become one of Asia’s largest airports, equipped with world-class customer service measures, including automated check-in counters and boarding bridges directly connecting to aircraft, ensuring seamless transit experiences.
Location and Connectivity
Strategically located, Dhaka Airport enjoys easy accessibility to major cities and international destinations, positioning itself as a catalyst for greater economic growth potential in Bangladesh.
The Significance of a Modern Airport for Economic Growth
Modern airports are pivotal for fostering economic growth. They serve as gateways to countries, offering crucial services such as passenger and cargo transportation, freight forwarding, aircraft maintenance and repair, and various aviation-related activities.
Furthermore, airports play a vital role in facilitating trade by linking local markets with global ones, thereby creating job opportunities and driving economic growth. They also bolster the tourism industry, making it more accessible for visitors to explore new countries, thanks to their efficiency and reduced delays compared to other modes of transport like roadways and shipping.
In addition, airports attract foreign investments by introducing knowledge-intensive technologies, creating strong international ties, and providing quick access to global resources and tools, enabling businesses to enter new markets worldwide with ease.
Accessibility to Major Cities and International Destinations
The addition of a third terminal at Dhaka Airport significantly enhances connectivity options for both domestic and international travel, thereby positively impacting the economy and infrastructure development in Bangladesh. Improved accessibility to major cities will drive economic activity and potentially boost exports.
Furthermore, increased access to international destinations through direct flights from Dhaka Airport opens up new trade opportunities and fosters job creation within the aviation industry. It also facilitates travel and investment in Bangladeshi businesses, further bolstering the nation’s economy.
History and Development of Dhaka Airport
Since its establishment in 1950, Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka has undergone several expansions and upgrades to improve its facilities and infrastructure. The construction of the third terminal marks a significant milestone in the airport’s history, tripling its export cargo handling capacity and driving economic growth.
Impact on the Economy and Infrastructure Development
The construction of the third terminal at Dhaka Airport promises direct economic growth and infrastructure development in Bangladesh. It is expected to generate jobs for Bangladeshi citizens, create domestic trade opportunities, enhance the country’s international image, promote tourism industry development, and reduce flight delays caused by overcrowding at airports.
Moreover, improved cargo handling capacity, up-to-date check-in counters, boarding bridges, and conveyor belts will boost efficiency and reduce disruptions in exports. To meet international aviation standards like ICAO regulations (International Civil Aviation Organisation), new technologies such as air traffic control systems and safety procedures will be introduced, attracting foreign airline operators and expanding business opportunities in Bangladesh’s airspace.
The third terminal has the potential to create new employment opportunities and generate increased revenue for the airport. It is estimated that over 5,000 jobs will be created during the construction and development phases, leading to a larger industrial network throughout Bangladesh, encompassing sectors like engineering, transportation, and logistics services.
Improvement in the Overall Image of the Airport
The third terminal’s construction enhances Bangladesh’s aviation sector, presenting its growth potential to international airlines. With modern amenities like automated check-in counters, advanced conveyor belts, efficient boarding bridges, and updated navigation aid systems, passengers traveling through Dhaka Airport can expect world-class services. This improvement in services can boost the airport’s global reputation and increase air traffic.
Features of the Third Terminal
The new terminal boasts enlarged check-in counters, boarding bridges, baggage conveyor belts, and other modern facilities designed for efficient operations. With 26 boarding bridges and 115 check-in counters, it can handle over 25 million passengers annually, using cutting-edge technology for speedy processing.
Additionally, the terminal offers ample public seating areas, including six business lounges, providing food and beverage options for travelers, ensuring a comfortable and hassle-free experience.
Conveyor Belts and Other Modern Facilities
Efficiency and productivity are central to the third terminal’s design. It features 12 conveyor belts to expedite baggage retrieval and delivery, upgraded boarding bridges to accommodate large passenger volumes, and self-service kiosks for ticketing, enhancing convenience.
Terminals at Dhaka Airport
Dhaka Airport now boasts three terminals, each catering to different travel needs and offering unique features and facilities.
- Terminal 1: Located in the main building of Dhaka Airport, it features multiple check-in counters, boarding gates, and modern facilities for international traffic.
- Terminal 2: Situated within the same building as Terminal 1, Terminal 2 offers similar facilities to accommodate international travel demands.
- Terminal 3: Separately located from Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, Terminal 3 provides world-class passenger services, 26 boarding bridges, a parking apron for 37 aircraft, luxurious lounges, duty-free shopping, fine dining restaurants, transportation access points, and immigration counters.
Introduction of the VIP Terminal and Cargo Terminal
The third terminal includes a state-of-the-art VIP terminal building and cargo handling facility. The VIP terminal offers exclusive services for luxury travelers, while the cargo terminal significantly enhances Bangladesh’s export cargo handling capabilities, reducing aircraft turnaround times and ensuring better service delivery for exports.
These two facilities make Dhaka Airport’s third terminal self-sustainable, supporting business and agriculture sectors’ growth and contributing broadly to Bangladesh’s infrastructure development.
Airlines and Destinations
Bangladesh’s air travel has experienced significant growth, creating opportunities for economic development. Various airlines operate at Dhaka Airport, connecting to a range of domestic and international destinations, further boosting economic prospects.
Potential for Growth and Increased Connectivity With the New Terminal
The third terminal’s completion positions Dhaka Airport as a regional aviation hub, enhancing connectivity with major cities and international destinations worldwide. The expansion project triples cargo handling capacity, improves infrastructure, and strengthens air travel networks.
Benefits for the Economy and Infrastructure Development
The completion of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal opens new avenues for economic growth and investment opportunities. It improves trade efficiency, fosters export growth, and creates tourism opportunities, resulting in broader revenue possibilities across various sectors.
Improvement in the Overall Infrastructure of the Country
Dhaka Airport’s third terminal contributes significantly to Bangladesh’s infrastructure improvement, fostering better transportation, connectivity, and trade opportunities. Enhanced cargo handling capacity and modern facilities elevate passenger experiences, driving economic growth through tourism revenue and foreign trade activities.
Impact on the Agriculture Sector
The third terminal is expected to benefit the agricultural sector by reducing delays in the export of fresh produce and improving perishable goods’ handling efficiency. This helps bridge gaps between supply and demand, enabling faster transport times and boosting export values and revenues.
Potential for Future Development
The ongoing project at Dhaka Airport’s third terminal sets the stage for future development, including extending the runway and increasing the fleet size to expand airline capacity.
Challenges, Criticisms, and Concerns
Despite the potential benefits, the construction of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal has faced delays, regulatory challenges, and sustainability concerns. It’s essential to manage the project’s cost and potential debt carefully, along with ensuring proper maintenance and management of the new facilities.
Q1: What is the capacity of terminal 3 in Dhaka airport?
A1: The capacity of Terminal 3 at Dhaka Airport is designed to process over 25 million passengers annually upon full completion.
Q2: What is the third terminal of Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport?
A2: The third terminal of Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport, also known as Dhaka Airport, is a state-of-the-art terminal building that is part of the airport’s expansion project.
Q3: How much did Dhaka Terminal 3 cost?
A3: The estimated cost of Dhaka Terminal 3 is Tk 21,300 crores.
Q4: How many terminals does Dhaka airport have?
A4: Dhaka Airport has three terminals: Terminal 1, Terminal 2, and the newly constructed Terminal 3.
Dhaka Airport’s third terminal represents a significant leap forward for Bangladesh, with its promise of improved infrastructure, enhanced connectivity, and economic growth. As construction progresses, Bangladesh is poised to meet international aviation standards and embrace progress for a brighter future.
Frequently Asked Questions On Dhaka Airport Third Terminal
1. When will the Dhaka Airport Third Terminal open?
- The Dhaka Airport Third Terminal is expected to open on October 7, 2023.
2. What are the key features of the Dhaka Airport Third Terminal?
- The third terminal features state-of-the-art facilities, including check-in counters, boarding bridges, baggage conveyor belts, lounges, and more, designed for efficient passenger processing.
3. How will the third terminal impact Dhaka Airport’s infrastructure?
- The third terminal is set to significantly improve Dhaka Airport’s infrastructure by tripling export cargo handling capacity, reducing flight delays, and enhancing passenger services.
4. What airlines operate at Dhaka Airport’s third terminal?
- Various airlines operate at Dhaka Airport, serving both domestic and international destinations. These airlines include Bangladesh Biman, US-Bangla Airlines, Regent Airways, Novo Air, Fly Emirates, SilkAir, Shaheen Airline, British Airways, Qatar Airways, Malaysian Airlines, and Etihad Airways, among others.
5. How will the third terminal benefit Bangladesh’s economy?
- The completion of the third terminal is expected to boost Bangladesh’s economy by improving trade efficiency, fostering export growth, creating tourism opportunities, and generating jobs in various sectors.
6. What challenges have been faced during the construction of Dhaka Airport’s third terminal?
- The construction of the third terminal has faced delays, regulatory challenges, and sustainability concerns, posing challenges to its completion.
7. What sustainability measures are being considered for the third terminal’s construction?
- The construction team is considering sustainability measures such as using native plants, locally sourced materials, and efficient resource management to reduce environmental impact while ensuring commercial success.
8. How can travelers access the Dhaka Airport Third Terminal?
- Travelers can access the third terminal within the airport complex by following signs and directions. It is advisable to arrive well in advance of the flight to allow time for check-in and security procedures.
9. What is the potential impact of the third terminal on Bangladesh’s agriculture sector?
- The third terminal is expected to positively impact the agriculture sector by reducing delays in the export of fresh produce and improving the efficiency of handling perishable goods, leading to increased competitiveness in domestic and global markets.
10. What is the future development potential for Dhaka Airport’s third terminal?
- The ongoing project at the third terminal sets the stage for future development, including extending the runway and expanding airline capacity to further enhance connectivity and economic growth.